Saturday 16 July 2016

Troubles of a job hunter

Hi.

It has been 1 full month of my official unemployment.

I have ended my internship on the 10th June. Went on a holiday for 1 week and returned on the 18th June.

I started sending applications immediately after I got back to Singapore.
The total number of applications I sent till this day is probably 30 applications? Mostly through online portals such as jobstreet and jobsDB. 

But I've not received any calls for interviews yet.

This month has been a never ending cycle of waking up at 10 in the morning, having lunch, sometimes going out with friends, doing some calligraphy work in the night till 2 in the morning and restarting the cycle again.

It is mundane, aimless, but with lots of freedom

But this freedom is not for everyone and should not continue long term.
If I am not wrong, this is the first time that I  had so much freedom.

In the past, on every holiday, I would work part time. or participate in some school activities to fill up my days. This is the first where my main objective of waking up daily is to do whatever I want.
It was nice and enjoyable when this freedom persists for one or two weeks.

However, its has been almost a month now.

The stress and reality of not working, not having something to look forward to daily hits.

I mean like, why is it so hard to find a job?
- Poor economy
- Hiring managers need time to review the resumes
- My resume sucks
- I do not have the relevant skills
- Too many fresh graduates out there
- Everybody has a degree, employers want someone with 10 years of experience
- My job expections are too high, --> I want a good environment, decent pay, good learning experience.

I do not know who can I turn to for help. Approaching the staff in my school's career office may not help much. They will most probably just vet my resume, tell me sites where I can send my resumes.
Which, to be honest, does not help much.

Nevertheless,

I am really really glad that I have supportive parents that does not give me additional stress to my unemployment and still give my pocket money. I am also glad that I worked part time previously and have enough savings to last me for quite sometime. 

For now, I guess all I can do is to just wish myself luck in my job hunt and hope for the best.


good luck to all job hunters out there as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment